Lydia from Watts:

• Join War Room Forum!

Welcome Deplorable! Please take a moment to Sign Up for a free account so you can join in on the LIVE CHAT and forum DISCUSSIONS.

roebee

Feb 23, 2021
This is nothing new, Steve, Raheem. The poor, underpriviledged are always landing at the bottom! Their school districts don't learn at the same pace as the kids in Beverly Hills. Do you think Archie Suxxex will be bused to Watts? It's all criminal! Do you think the concept of Watts, Compton, East L.A., Oakland, East Palo Alto...do you think this is all new??? The American school system has let our kids down, and it's all been done purposefully. There are simple solutions. We're in one of the richest states in the nation. We have Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, etc...headquartered in our state. Do they contribute a thing to education? They can't even pay proper taxes. If we had every hi-tech company pay 10% of their profits to a school fund which would be properly run, the California children would finally have a chance-all of them! In California, it's the difference between the have and have-nots! We used to be in the top percentage (our schools, 3 decades ago, maybe more), but now, we're coming in last! Bill Maher...he's just a sound byte! Are the minorities of China getting their top education too? Is that inbetween the organ harvesting? Child labor? Displaced ancient communities? Sorry, China is not my role-model. We gave our state away to them in the 80's when the kids ruined the balances in our class rooms and the dynamics entirely changed in suburbia. They completely came over and altered life for us. They are not the example we should be following. There is no competition. We're smart enough to do it with out China!

R

Renegade

Poor and underprivileged always landing on the bottom.....total BS. No excuses accepted.
As Big a lie as having to tolerate GAY MARRIAGE and the rest of the LEFTIST divisiveness crap...

If you can’t pull yourself up by your own bootstraps, your not trying hard enough.

roebee

Feb 23, 2021
Poor and underprivileged always landing on the bottom.....total BS. No excuses accepted.
As Big a lie as having to tolerate GAY MARRIAGE and the rest of the LEFTIST divisiveness crap...

If you can’t pull yourself up by your own bootstraps, your not trying hard enough.
Some issues you just can't argue. Let me ask you...did you grow up poor, in ghetto neighborhoods? Was your education less than standard? I don't make excuses for people, but there is no argument that the U.S. has purposefully kept the blacks down. There are places around the world who educate their children equally, not based on your zip code! I am a Californian...there is a clear divide between the wealth, and sadly, that includes education. LIke it, don't like it, it's the way it is...and it's run by liberals. They take care of their own, and that's about it.

JerryC

Feb 13, 2021
I watched with interest the presentation by the leader of presentation regarding the closure of schools in LAUSD and the negative impact it has on student learning because Zoom classes have been a failure because so many students don't attend them. I worked in Watts for 18 months and was in charge of technology for the 25 schools. Keep in mind that school attendance was a major issue in the schools there before the pandemic. The 2 high schools were such complete failures that they were taken over by a company called Green Dot. Locke High school became Alain LeRoy Locke College Preparatory School. Keep in mind that 83% of the students are hispanic as the demographics of Watts has changed significantly over the last 2 decades. Here are the student proficiency scores for Alain LeRoy Locke College Preparatory High School. 27% are proficient in Reading and 9% are proficient in Math. Their graduation rate is 54%. The Jordan is the other high school and it has the same demographics and their proficiency scores are 42% are proficient in Reading and 8% in Math. There is high turnover of teachers in both schools and attacks by students play a role in this. Keep in mind that starting in January 2020, there is now a CA State law that schools can no longer suspend students for their behavior and that there must be alternative methods of discipline.

Attachments

• Alain LeRoy Locke College Preparatory Academy in Los Angeles, CA - Niche.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
R

Renegade

Some issues you just can't argue. Let me ask you...did you grow up poor, in ghetto neighborhoods? Was your education less than standard? I don't make excuses for people, but there is no argument that the U.S. has purposefully kept the blacks down. There are places around the world who educate their children equally, not based on your zip code! I am a Californian...there is a clear divide between the wealth, and sadly, that includes education. LIke it, don't like it, it's the way it is...and it's run by liberals. They take care of their own, and that's about it.
Totally BS....California ruined your life if you believe that crap your pedaling. The liberal Government in California is your problem and it has cultivated your mind to be a victim of false claims.

Everyone can rise if they choose... if you believe otherwise I can not help you.

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds” RWE

Last edited by a moderator:

JerryC

Feb 13, 2021
You asked if I grew up poor. My father died at the age of 48 when I was 16. I'm an only child and my mother had been a housewife and never held a job so we moved to a tiny studio apartment on Normandy (the same street where Reginald Denny was pulled from his truck and beat senseless for 3 hours during the second Watts Riots). She slept on a cot next to the stove and I slept on the couch. She went to Sawyer's Business College to learn to become a secretary because the 3 options for women at that time was to become a teacher, a secretary, or a nurse. I went to school and worked every vacation to help out with expenses so I do know what it is like to live in a low income community.
You talk about the economic divide that exists in big cities like Los Angeles where the wealthy live on the west side of the city and the poor live on east and south sides.
I mentioned Locke and Jordan High schools where there are many issues that prevent student success: poverty, unemployment, pressure to join gangs, drug use, teen age pregnancies, etc. However, I also worked at the Foshay Learning Center in Central LA near USC. It has the same demographics and conditions that I just mentioned but the Los Angeles Education Partnership designed a plan for two learning centers, Foshay and Elizabeth St. Learning Centers. They were both K-12, the students wore uniforms to prevent them from being attacked for wearing gang colors, and the focus was on academics as well as career education through academies at the high schools (Finance, Technology, and Health) so that students could have internships at companies during their vacations to get real world experiences. Foshay even had a Health Center for the community where the students in the Health Academy worked to gain experience.
Compare these statistics with those from Locke and Jordan. 100% of the seniors graduated. 97% went to college. The 3% who didn't joined the military to have their college education paid for.
The secret to their success was project based learning where they learned to learned how to deep dive into a subject in depth and then teach what they learned to the other students by presenting multimedia presentations to one another. Technology was used for learning and not entertainment.
They were so motivated that they asked me to open the computer lab on Saturdays so that they could work on their projects. Many of their parents came because they had been trained on how to support their children's academic success by classes held once a month at the school on Saturdays.
My best student is a woman who is now a psychologist who works at the LAUSD central office.

Reactions: Renegade

roebee

Feb 23, 2021
You asked if I grew up poor. My father died at the age of 48 when I was 16. I'm an only child and my mother had been a housewife and never held a job so we moved to a tiny studio apartment on Normandy (the same street where Reginald Denny was pulled from his truck and beat senseless for 3 hours during the second Watts Riots). She slept on a cot next to the stove and I slept on the couch. She went to Sawyer's Business College to learn to become a secretary because the 3 options for women at that time was to become a teacher, a secretary, or a nurse. I went to school and worked every vacation to help out with expenses so I do know what it is like to live in a low income community.
You talk about the economic divide that exists in big cities like Los Angeles where the wealthy live on the west side of the city and the poor live on east and south sides.
I mentioned Locke and Jordan High schools where there are many issues that prevent student success: poverty, unemployment, pressure to join gangs, drug use, teen age pregnancies, etc. However, I also worked at the Foshay Learning Center in Central LA near USC. It has the same demographics and conditions that I just mentioned but the Los Angeles Education Partnership designed a plan for two learning centers, Foshay and Elizabeth St. Learning Centers. They were both K-12, the students wore uniforms to prevent them from being attacked for wearing gang colors, and the focus was on academics as well as career education through academies at the high schools (Finance, Technology, and Health) so that students could have internships at companies during their vacations to get real world experiences. Foshay even had a Health Center for the community where the students in the Health Academy worked to gain experience.
Compare these statistics with those from Locke and Jordan. 100% of the seniors graduated. 97% went to college. The 3% who didn't joined the military to have their college education paid for.
The secret to their success was project based learning where they learned to learned how to deep dive into a subject in depth and then teach what they learned to the other students by presenting multimedia presentations to one another. Technology was used for learning and not entertainment.
They were so motivated that they asked me to open the computer lab on Saturdays so that they could work on their projects. Many of their parents came because they had been trained on how to support their children's academic success by classes held once a month at the school on Saturdays.
My best student is a woman who is now a psychologist who works at the LAUSD central office.
Sounds like a great program. There ARE solutions out there, we're just not using them!!!!! There is an end to poverty...we're just not using it!!! There are success stories...just not too many.

Reactions: JerryC

roebee

Feb 23, 2021
Totally BS....California ruined your life if you believe that crap your pedaling. The liberal Government in California is your problem and it has cultivated your mind to be a victim of false claims.

Everyone can rise if they choose... if you believe otherwise I can not help you.

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds” RWE
Thanks for the free therapy session. Might I have the option to tell you what you think?

Reactions: Renegade

JerryC

Feb 13, 2021
Sounds like a great program. There ARE solutions out there, we're just not using them!!!!! There is an end to poverty...we're just not using it!!! There are success stories...just not too many.
The secret to the success at the Foshay Learning Center was the Principal, Howard Lappin. Every morning, he stood at the entrance and greeted every high school student by name. He encouraged the high school teachers to meet regularly to plan lessons that intersected with each discipline. He encouraged them to go to conferences to learn new successful methodologies. The common thread was that we all truly cared for our students and were always there for them when they needed assistance. He established a culture that promoted success.

Atomicanon

Jan 6, 2021
NH USA

A hand up not a hand out.
Parents are responsible or not.
That is the problem the unravelling of the family values woven into the fabric of America.
Stay true in your marriage, be a servant to your family. Don't buy the lies

roebee

Feb 23, 2021
The secret to the success at the Foshay Learning Center was the Principal, Howard Lappin. Every morning, he stood at the entrance and greeted every high school student by name. He encouraged the high school teachers to meet regularly to plan lessons that intersected with each discipline. He encouraged them to go to conferences to learn new successful methodologies. The common thread was that we all truly cared for our students and were always there for them when they needed assistance. He established a culture that promoted success.
Yup. Great story!

roebee

Feb 23, 2021
A hand up not a hand out.
Parents are responsible or not.
That is the problem the unravelling of the family values woven into the fabric of America.
Stay true in your marriage, be a servant to your family. Don't buy the lies
Yup...a whole engaged family plays a major roll in the personal success in raising kids.

War Room Live Chat

Support War Room With a Small Donation
Donations pay for increased server capacity, Live Chat and patriots/causes that appear on the show.

Hey Deplorable! Join us...

Never miss out. Join in on all that our community as to offer!

Sign Me Up!

War Room Podcast

War Room Live Chat